Orientation will be filled with fun activities, events, and workshops all designed to Create Connections with other new students, with our amazing UH Hilo faculty, and with numerous campus resources and the awesome staff that run them. We'll also have workshops which will help to set you up to be Academically Successful here a UH Hilo, and of course there will be lots and lots of Vulcan spirit as we welcome you into our university ʻOhana.
We're really excited to invite you to Spring 2015 New Student Orientation.
Orientation Check In on Thursday, January 8th
Check-In on Thursday, January 8th will be in the Campus Center Plaza. You're welcome to come by at any time during the day to check in.
At check in you'll receive your welcome bag, name tag, as well as a complete schedule for Orientation. You'll also be able to sign up for excursions around the Big Island, get a campus tour, and even a tour of Hilo if you're not from the area.
You'll be able to sign up for Spring Orientation starting the first week of November.
When is Spring 2015 New Student Orientation?
Thursday, January 8, 2015
- Orientation Check-In (throughout the day)
- An Evening of Aloha welcome event
Friday, January 9, 2015 - Saturday, January 10, 2015
- Fall New Student Orientation!
- Workshops and events to welcome and prepare you to be successful here at UH Hilo.
- Activities to help you make new friends
- Explore the Big Island and learn about the history and culture of Hawaii
- Meet your professors and other people from around campus
- Learn about what you can do with your major
- Begin to build your school pride and be excited to become a Vulcan!
- ... and much more!
Registration for Spring 2015 New Student Orientation will open the first week of November.
As you're making your travel arrangements, be sure to check out our Travel Info page. You could be eligible for a discounted flight.
Airport Shuttle to campus
On Wednesday, January 7th we will have shuttles available to pick you up from the airport and bring you to campus. This service is free and is a way for us to welcome you to Hilo and into our ʻohana (family).
International Students, please click here for information about arriving on January 6th.
What others have said
We always like to assess the programs that we offer so that we can continue to improve the way in which we support the success of our students. Here are a couple of things our students told us last year about their Orientation experience:
- 97% said "Orientation helped me feel welcomed to UH Hilo"
- 93% said "Through Orientation I learned about resources and offices on campus"
- 99% said "Orientation helped me feel better prepared to start my first semester at UH Hilo"
- 92% said "I would recommend this orientation program to other new students"
One student said:
"I am a non-traditional transfer student and, even though I am not freshman age or a new student, I really got a lot out of attending orientation. I didn't feel singled out because of my age or where I'm from. In fact, I felt right at home because of the incredible diversity in age and ethnicity on campus. I'm glad I am attending UH Hilo and I would highly recommend attending it to my friends and family."
Another student said:
"It was very helpful in my transition into college, I recommend this program to new upcoming freshmen."